Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ready for Hoe-Nine...Is Brooklyn in the house?


So yeah...it's been a minute since the last entry, but so it go sometimes, so Merry New Year and Happy Belated X-Mas to all massive and crew...2009 lick and we still deh yah...because "I'm so special," like the bredda from Cassava Piece..."My name is so excellent," and so on and so forth...Well, before I get into the whole New Year talk, and make more broken promises and set unreachable goals, I first need to sum up the end of the year.

In November, I was in the Big Apple, BK to be exact, for two shows. The first one was on a Saturday, the 7th, at Bushbaby and the second show was Sunday, the 8th, at Solomon's Porch. Brooklyn has always been my second home, I lived in Bedstuy for a couple of months during one summer, and worked on few projects there. Brooklyn is like that girl you fell in love with, but never really got over, so just like how you would check her facebook or myspace page every once in a while, I have to go back there at least once a year, just to see how she's doing, so yeah, PEACE out to Brooklyn.

I flew into LaGuardia, because that was the cheapest flight I could find. I jumped on the Q33 bus, and got off at 74th St/Broadway/Roosevelt Ave, and caught the 7 train into Manhattan. My friend Hima lived in Brooklyn, so I transferred and took the L train to Dekalb Ave, dropped off my bags at her place, and headed back into Manhattan to Union Square, one of my spots in the city. As usual, the park was packed, there were street performers doing their thing, the market peolpe were packing up their goods, the skaters were skateboarding, the teenagers were loitering like the old folks would say, and the city was alive. There I met up with P, producer extraordinaire, and we headed back into Brooklyn to Park Slope, so I could get a shave at the barber spot.

Afterwards, we stumbled across this grand opening of a store that sold some Japanese collectible type toys, not really sure, but they had a dj set up in an empty store next door with a cooler full of beer and liquor, so I wasn't really asking a lot of questions. After a couple more unplanned stops, by the end of a very long night, we ended up on the 3 Line, headed to the Crown Heights/Utica Ave stop in Brooklyn, final destination: P's crib off Eastern Parkway. Big up to P and his roommate Shaq for putting me up for the weekend...GIVE THANKS.

As far as the two shows, some things were good, and some things were bad, but overall, the vibe was nice, so big up brooklyn every time.


The first show was on Saturday, at Bushbaby on Fulton Street. Respect and many thanx to Lenice and crew for having me...The night started out with spoken word from DuEwa, she was pretty dope, afterwards I touched the mic and did my thing, and then last but not least, the closing speaker was Denrick Johnson, a local artist out of Brooklyn, who's work was being displayed that night, so it was definitely a cool vibe, and I'm looking forward to going back.

The second show was on Sunday, at Solomon's Cafe on Stuyvesant Avenue. That was a nice spot as well, the crowd turn out was small, but it was a Sunday night, and so the business go. It was cool still, I played it like Madison Square Garden, and called it a night....big up to the staff though, they kept me well fed through the night...definitely appreciated that...


Back in the M-I-A, I had one more show at the University of Miami, the Peace & Love Concert, one time for my man Kemy, bless for the booking, and then it was off to J-A to bring in the New Year. (JA- an acronym that stands for the island of Jamaica, otherwise fondly referred to as "Jamdown," or as Damien Marley would say, "Jamrock," and the ever popular "Yard," pronounced "Yaaad.") And that was Hoe-Eight (Eight with a "h," so all together now "Hoe-Hate"), so I'm ready for Hoe-Nine...Yeah Baby...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home