Saturday, January 10, 2009

Just because we play what the people want....(Part Deux)

I spent the first night outside of London, by my father's breddren, Derek's house. Big up to him and his girlfriend for putting me up...Respect. The next morning I caught the train back into London, Victoria Station, and caught the express to Brighton. On my way, I sent a text to the Dj/producer who booked me for the show, Will SumSuch, to let him know that I was on my way. Let me show you the six degrees of separation, watch me. My breddren, Mr. Cisum, another Dj/producer over in Philly, he was the one who put me on to Will. I met Cisum while I was working on "Habibi, the Remix," a theatrical production, in smaller words, a play that incorporated Hip-Hop, Spoken Word, Break-dancing, and belly-dancing in Miami in 2004. I was a co-writer as well as the lead actor/emcee, alongside Hanan, the belly-dancer, Chillski, the breaker, Kimani, the poet, and Cisum, the Dj.

http://www.hanan4peace.com/HabibiPage.htm



Three years later, I'm on my way to Brighton to do a show at the Fishbowl...so life go.

So yeah, to make a long story short, when I got to Brighton, Will met me at the station, and we headed back to his flat, where he and his roommate, Asbest the Moor King, live. The show was that night, so I relaxed for a bit, and checked out some material from his label, Latenite Lounging. The group that was opening up for me arrived at the spot, these younger cats from I think South London...Peedi (PDL II, Ford, and another yout, it's been awhile) so after a session of deep meditation, we headed over to the Fishbowl.



The show went well, Will SumSuch was on the 1s and 2s, Daddy Marcus played as well, and Asbest the Moor King opened up the show before the three younger cats from London. I met a lot of colourful characters that night, DJ Sinner, Richie Phoe, and the crowd received my show well, they were very supportive, and the place wasn't that big, but it was ram out. The best part of the night for me was when I did a rendition of Bob's "No Woman No Cry," with Will backing me on the guitar live. At one point, I repeated a verse, singing it acapella, and the entire bar was singing along, the vibez was wicked. So yeah, big up Brighton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home